My first week
of student teaching was a great experience which I hope continues throughout
the semester. This week was more of a get to know you week. I got to know my
teacher, the principal, the staff, and most importantly the kids. My first day I
walked in and had what was basically a question and answer session where the
kids grilled me for about 20 minutes. I spent a lot of time grading papers
because the quarter ended on Friday so grades have to be in within a week and
my cooperating teacher said she wanted me to have something to do. This was a
really good thing for me because it gave me the opportunity to sit back and
observe the class and the behavior of the students while looking at multiple
examples of each student’s work to get a handle on their quality of work. My
cooperating teacher showed me around the school and introduced me to most of
the faculty. She spent a lot of time this week with me going over classroom
procedures, students’ medical requirements, students’ IEP’s, behavioral
management, all of the basics I am going to need to know for the semester
ahead. She made sure to let the students know that since we are both going to
be in there for the rest of the semester that it is a great opportunity for the
students to get extra help. Whenever a student would go up to her to ask a
question when there was someone else talking to her she would send that student
over to me in order to get them in the habit of asking us both questions. The
students responded well to me. It is truly a great class with a good group of
kids and they are very respectful and open to seeing me as a teacher and not an
aid. They ask really good questions and have conversations well beyond a fourth
grade level. One thing I thought was effectively done in her class was the
belief that as long as a student is not disrupting anybody they are free to
work how they want. For instance one student works better on the floor and
since it doesn’t disturb the other students she lets him. The same thing with
two other students who work better standing up, again since it doesn’t bother
other students she lets them.
My teacher
is the kind of teacher who likes to use a lot of worksheets. I feel like when I
start teaching and taking over it is going to take them a little bit to get
used to different techniques and strategies. However once they get used to a
different lesson format they are going to take to it and respond well. On the
other hand any time you see something that works but isn’t what you do you
wonder if there’s any point of “fixing what isn’t broken”. These kids are in a
gifted class and are well above their level so if what my cooperating teacher
is doing works, then why change it? I believe that Trinity has prepared us with
a plethora of great teaching strategies that are effective and I plan on using
them.
There are so many things I hope to learn in the upcoming weeks. However I should focus on one week at a time because this is a learning process. I'm not going to learn everything in one week. Next week I
hope to learn more about how the class works as a whole. I have seen them work
a lot individually but haven’t seen them in a light outside of their homework
and assignments. Everything else I learn is just a bonus.
Classroom Confidential
In Laurel Schmidt’s
book Classroom Confidential, she
talks about how Gardner’s multiple intelligences have been around and in place
long before Gardner came out with his theory. She says that good effective
teachers have been creating “brain friendly” classrooms, attuning to all of the
intelligences. Those intelligences include verbal/linguistic intelligence (word
smart), visual and spatial intelligence (picture smart), musical intelligence
(music smart), Kinesthetic intelligence (body smart), logical/mathematical
intelligence (logic smart), naturalistic intelligence (nature smart),
existential intelligence (life smart), interpersonal intelligence (people smart),
and intrapersonal intelligence (self smart). Word smart kids are the kids who
spend their time in the library, or raise their hands whenever the teacher asks
a question. These students are often the ones to get ahead early in school. Students
who are picture smart are the students who have very high spatial intelligence,
or as Schmidt says, they have “eyes on steroids” (pg 5). Music smart kids are
the students who are sensitive not only to the musical aspect of music, but the
emotional representations as well. They are also the students who are
constantly tapping, humming, or even singing in class, while some teachers see
this as an annoying habit, it could just be their way of thinking. Logic smart
is the other intelligence that is often seen as “smart” because the student
enjoys mental math, estimating, calculating, measuring, or indulging in their
own investigations. Nature smart are the students who would make the best classroom
pet monitors ever. They are the students who would be first to launch a
campaign to save the tigers, they love science and relish the opportunity to
read about any scientific topic. Life smart students are the students who are fascinated
with what happens after you die. They ask question about life, death, the
afterlife, ghosts, and spirits. People smart are the interpersonal students, students
who are always helping, commenting, or mediating other students. Although some
teachers may see them as busybodies that is just how they are wired. Students
who are self smart are the ones who have a high intrapersonal intelligence. Sensitive
to their own emotions they can work well individually or in a group because
they dent to be confident and self-disciplined.
This
semester it is my goal to use all of those intelligences. Each student is
different and that is what makes this world so beautiful. This class in
particular has so many different types of learners I think I can utilize all of
the intelligences to the classes advantages. One way I plan on doing this is
through a lot of group work, that way I can have students who have different
intelligences working together to utilize the most of each other and through
that create amazing work. There are also some students who are motivated by
different activities. For instance if one student does all of his work on time
he gets to move around or go get a drink. If I can incorporate the kinesthetic
learning into the curriculum then instead of as a reward then I can get him to
be motivated to learn by learning. That motivation technique can be used with
any intelligence if applied correctly and that is what I plan on doing.
The full
brain classroom is another concept that Schmidt talks about. The full brain
classroom is one in which the teacher accesses all of those intelligences
through multiple different strategies that are both intriguing and challenging
for the students. In my opinion this is something that good teachers should be
doing in the first place. Some ways I plan on doing this are the group
activities like I mentioned earlier and big idea projects that include multiple
different aspects and intelligences. That way I can tap into multiple
intelligences, challenge students, intrigue them, make them interested, and
have them collaborate. Through those ways I can hopefully create the most
effective classroom environment possible and have the students get he most out
of their learning experience.
John, I'm really glad you had an early experience of grading student work. I think this is one way of really getting to know students and what they may be capable of.
ReplyDeleteI'm also glad you can see that maybe a heavy use of worksheets isn't the best way to teach. Yes, they may work, but how do you know other methods wouldn't work even better? I suspect that there are other methods the students would find much more enjoyable too. I think you can use this experience to try other things out, even if the tried and true works for you cooperating teacher. Please don't be afraid to really stretch yourself and learn what works for you.
Thanks John for giving me a good feel of what your classroom is like :) It's great that your cooperating teacher is trying to get the kids in the habit of asking both of you questions-- probably will help later on when you take over full-time. I definitely agree with you that we have learned a variety of instructional methods. I love your idea of using kinesthetic activity within the lessons so that the active-student doesn't just get rewards at the end, but actually wants to participate! Great idea.
ReplyDelete