Today (Monday) we were supposed to have a day to review because we originally didn’t want to
test them on Mondays, however… the snow day last week keeps coming back to bite
us in the butt. We were worried that we might have run out of time
to test the students because Mrs. Z. might have to administer a test to another
class because a teacher is out so we wouldn’t be able to test that day because
I can’t administer them. We could get the tests in within the week but if
someone misses we wouldn’t have any time to do make up tests. So
this was my day today, morning work was handed out then after 5 minutes we went
to library for an hour and a half for them to research their social studies
projects. Then we actually had a few minutes where I taught comparing and
ordering decimals and fractions which went well. Then we went to gym, then 10
minutes to work on their assignment because we don’t give out homework during
ISAT week, then they went to lunch and that was our morning. After that we had
to get in 2 tests before an assembly addressing the social studies fair that
ran to the end of the day. Then they left and I felt like I got next to nothing
done.
One
thing I forgot to mention next week is that one of my students with an IEP is
having an extremely difficult time with the math project that is due today. So
I gave him a completely different assignment (which wasn’t a big deal because
he hadn’t done anything on the first one anyways) and I’m hoping he will
understand this better but he desperately needed the differentiation.
Tuesday was
another day that seemed like I didn’t have more than a minute with them, and
what few minutes I did have I had to either take care of some housekeeping
business or put out fires. If it wasn’t making up and copying a parent note it
was “this person pushed me” or “this person said this”. It was constantly one
thing after another all day. Then I had 15 full minutes and I had to go through
everyone and pick the students so they could choose Native American tribes for
their Social Studies Fair projects. I am really excited about this project
because I am actually on the committee for it so it’s nice to see both sides of
something big like this and I’m taking a little extra pride in it. We also had
to make a permission slip for them to watch a movie Friday, then I had to get
both permission slips translated into Spanish, it just seemed like one thing
after another after another. I’m really starting to hate ISATs for more reasons
than just the basic premise of them.
Wednesday we
finally finished our last ISAT test! I was so happy when we finished. We have
been learning and talking about these tests for the last few years and
sometimes we were aiding in a school when the students were taking them but
this was the first time I really saw the full effect of them. It was so hard on
our students and emotionally taxing that by the time they were all over even I
was drained. The rest of the week we are honestly just doing mindless
activities that aren’t hard on the students. Plus there are still students who
have to do make up tests right above us in the conference room so we can’t be
too loud anyways. We did a lot of silent sustained reading or coloring the rest
of the day in between specials. Then at the end of the day I started the James and the Giant Peach unit. I like
reading to the kids but I really have to work on the voices I use for the
characters, and even the ones I have I feel sort of dumb using them. But at the
same time I really don’t care because the kids love it and if that means making
a fool of myself using funny voices then so be it I don’t have a problem with
it.
Thursday I
checked out a bunch of books on Native American tribes for them to read. First I
went through their textbook with them and showed them how to look through books
to find information so they don’t spend hours reading a book with nothing to
get out of it. Then I had them go through on their own and find just 5 useful
pieces of information and write them down with the page number as a reference. Then
in the 15 minutes before lunch I had half the students silent read their own
books while the other half read the books on the Native American tribes, the
after 5 minutes they switched, and then they lined up for lunch. I went through
the grade book and found all of the missing work and had students try and find
them while the others read. I taught them adding and subtracting decimals
because it’s absolutely no different from adding and subtracting regular
numbers except the decimal point itself. As soon as I told them they started
moaning and groaning, but once I showed them an example their attitude completely
changed and they handed it well. Then they worked on their assignments while
they were trying to find their missing ones. Then we finished the day with James and the Giant Peach.
Friday we started
with reading and working on the writing follow up. That took us to gym, and
then I had a math minute for them to do during the bathroom break. They had
some more math follow up on what we covered yesterday. We went to lunch, we
switched library times with another class so we went to library immediately
after lunch, and then finished the day watching Despicable Me.
Next week I have
to figure out what to teach the week before spring break, after they are wiped
out from ISATs, I’m going to try and teach like normal, using multiple
different techniques that are engaging and fun for them to try and keep them
interested while having them retain the information. I just remember when I was
their age the week before spring break was the worst so I’m going to do
everything I can to change that.
Well, thank goodness, ISAT is over and you can get back to what school is all about.....TEACHING AND LEARNING!!!!The children need the normal schedule back so they can get back in the groove.
ReplyDeleteI like that you are doing a read aloud with them. It is so good to have the teacher model great reading! You can make that story come alive with the voice tones that you are using. Don't worry about sounding silly, the kids love it and they will be mesmerized listening to you. I bet you will see them loosen up on their reading too and start to see them be more comfortable doing voice sounds too.
I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!
I think it's really neat to use the different voices when reading aloud! One teacher I aided with before did a FABULOUS job of using various voices, and it was just so much fun to listen to-- as a 20 year old-- so I can only imagine how much your kids love it.
ReplyDeleteThe Native American project sounds neat! I can't wait to hear more about it :)
John, I'm with you on your view of standardized testing. It just has a way of interfering with what has been a nice flow of learning. I always found that it was hard to get back to the routine again too after having all these test days.
ReplyDeleteI really recommend teaching as normally as possible the week before spring break. The more you make it different, the more the students tend to associate the difference to the coming break, and the more antsy they get. Keep it normal and keep them working hard.
By the way, I love it when you use different and weird voices when reading out loud. That makes it much more memorable for the students.