Monday was
a rough day knowing that Tuesday we weren’t going to have the kids. It was
trying to figure out what to introduce knowing they won’t have any follow up
the next day. So I used the day to keep going on fractions and do a lot of
review on previously learned language arts subjects. One thing I was pretty
excited about was a lesson about roots and affixes. I was having them make
flashcards with the roots or affixes on one side and then the definition,
examples, and a sentence using it on the other side. I was going to have them
do each section in groups at stations and then afterwards they would have note
cards to study from. Then I found these stencils online of a small tree and
leaves and I was going to put the root or affix and its definition on the tree
and then on the leaves write the words. Unfortunately they didn’t understand
how to make the note cards. I walked them through it step by step, I drew them
a diagram and even made an example for them. They still couldn’t understand it
so instead of centers we just did it as a class. Then we ran out of time so for
their homework I had them write the examples and sentences and didn’t get to
the trees.
Tuesday was
a SIP day which consisted of three different conferences. One of which was a
review of something we learned in novice, we talked about close reading which
the woman said is something you would only do maybe twice a year, and then a
conference about reading centers that the school doesn’t have the money to pay
for but was a really good idea.
Wednesday
just felt like another Monday which made the whole school seem a bit off.
Everyone was out of whack but we got through it. Although the staff seems like
they’re dragging a bit the kids seem fine. We had a collaboration meeting to go
over some evaluations of the school and principal and we passed out our ISAT
booklet. In reading some of the things for the ISAT we discovered that I’m not
allowed to have prefixes and suffixes up on the wall. So the cool follow up
activity that I was going to hang on the wall I now can’t do until after ISATs
and by that time I don’t know how effective it will be. I’ll probably still end
up doing it because I think it could be helpful but I was hoping they would
have them up for reference during ISATs.
Thursday
kept working on fractions and I don’t know if it was the Tuesday off or not but
it just seemed to throw everything out of whack. We started with math first
thing in the morning because that’s when we had the biggest time slot and the
kids just seemed glazed over. Everything we reviewed from the day before went
right past them and what I tried to teach just wasn’t getting through. I tried
a couple different methods a few activities and it was just like the kids
weren’t mentally there. So we moved on to some language arts hoping that the
reading would just be less strenuous then math and it seemed to be doing the
trick. So we were able to get something done before gym even if it wasn’t what
I wanted or as much as I wanted. In the afternoon I was going to teach/review
voice, tone, and some other reading parts of a story. Mrs. Z. found a really
cool book about a hippo and a turtle becoming friends called Owen and Mzee, I asked if she wanted to
read it to them because the students love it when she reads to them and since
she hasn’t been teaching for the last 4 weeks she said she has been feeling a
little left out in a way. So she read the story to them and went through all of
the literary elements we had planned and that gave me a chance to do some much
needed grading.
Friday was
pretty much a bust. We had our spelling test first thing in the morning then
Read Across America after that which was pretty cool. It was an hour where the
whole school was reading and they could have either a parent or grandparent
come in and read a book to the class. It was a really good experience for them.
We immediately went to gym and then after gym we had a bathroom break then 15
minutes before lunch, which we worked on the math hat we started Thursday and
then lunch. After lunch we had an hour and a half to work on our math projects.
Then library at 1:00 and from there we went straight to the student vs. staff
volleyball game until the end of the day. I appreciate days like this to give
the students a break, give them a chance to have some different kinds of fun
that doesn’t involve learning. Unfortunately it’s the Friday before ISAT’s and
I really could have used that time to either review or teach the last couple
things before ISAT’s. We don’t have school Monday so obviously that’s not going
to work and then we have Tuesday to teach and we haven’t gotten through nearly
enough. But what really is going to stick the day before ISAT’s when we have so
much to get through?
Here is one
of the biggest things I saw come into fruition that I have learned, you can
have the best plans in the world but the biggest variable in the classroom is
the kids. If they don’t understand the material then your plans don’t exactly matter.
Whether it’s plans for the week, plans for a lesson, or plans for an
assignment, if the kids don’t get it then your plans go out the window.
Classroom Confidential
In Schmidt’s
chapter 6 one thing she talks about is reading a novel aloud to the students. This
is something I have wanted to do with the kids and haven’t gotten a chance to
yet. I hadn’t seen Mrs. Z. read out loud to the class with anything other than
the stories in their reading books or other short stories. So I asked her if I could
and she said I was more than able to and she loved it. So I grabbed James and
the Giant Peach and she said her and another teacher actually had a listening
unit that went along with the book so she found that for me and I am going to
start it next week. The timing works really well so that way they can just sit
there and listen to give themselves a break between ISAT tests and it’s quiet
so we don’t disturb any other classes while they are testing.
I also like
the “Skinny to Steroids” activity she talked about. It’s where you take an absurdly
simple sentence like “The cat ate” and
you write the 3 words on the board with massive spaces in between. Then you
have students either tell you or come up and write in details. Things like what
color the cat is, what the cat ate, where the cat ate, why the cat ate, all
sorts of details to beef up the sentence. The great thing about this activity
is you can do it in less than 2 minutes. So this is something I can do before
we go to gym after our bathroom break where I’m torn between deciding if I should
start something new in 5 minutes or not.
Journaling
is the other thing I would like to do with them. It seems like we have the most
time on Mondays and Fridays in the afternoons so that’s when I would do them.
She gives us 13 jumpstart topics to give the kids to write about because sometimes
getting started is the hardest part about journaling. This gives the gives to
just write about themselves, their likes, and their interests, which is something
that they normally don’t get to do. The other thing I could do with this is on
Mondays have them write about either their weekend or free write, then on
Fridays I could have them write about something during the week in school, like
their favorite activity or what they wish maybe I could do better. That way
they are still writing which is the important part but I’m also getting their
feedback in order to make the classroom a better place for them.
Journaling was one of my favorite writing activities to do with my students. Starters are great as a springboard. I found that it was also a good way for them to communicate with me about their lives. Sometimes they share more in writing than in speaking. I would always write back to them also, kind of like your blog.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at all of the meetings the teachers are involved in at your school. It's too bad you lost so much class time the week before ISAT tests. You have to remember though, you are testing everything they have learned this year and previously. We can't expect to teach them everything on the test, that is impossible. The extended response is something they need to practice because that is difficult for them.
I hope they do well and your schedule gets back to normal.
The roots and affixes notecards sounds like a great activity! That's a bummer that it didn't work out like you had hoped, but it definitely sounds like a good one to keep in mind for the future. I think it's cool that you invited Mrs. Z to read that book; I can see how as cooperating teachers, you just feel out of place/in the way. I'm sure I would! I bet she appreciated that.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I think too much emphasis is placed on the ISATs. Like your supervisor said above, "we can't expect to teach them everything on the test, that's impossible). It's hard to think that way but I feel like in order to stay sane, ya gotta just realize that you do the best you can, and that's all you can do! (coming from a 1st/kindergartener student teacher haha) :) I hope the kids are doing well this week though, and that you think the ISATs are going good! Have a great week!!
John, I really like your idea of reading to the class. I think that this is one of the best ways to get students interesting in reading themselves, and it shows them that you also value and enjoy reading. I also like the idea of journaling. You may also want to think about blogging if it's feasible at your school.
ReplyDelete