Monday we started
our poetry unit. I introduced it by reading some of my favorite poems from
Silverstein, both short and long, and then I read one from Robert Frost, and
the Raven by Poe just to give them a little bit of everything from all
different genres. We are going to do a different poem each day until the end of
April. The first poem we did was a simple acrostic poem. Between that, library
in the morning, and social studies presentations in the afternoon it was a
pretty slow day.
Tuesday we
did ABC poems, I figured we would start with the easiest poems and wok our way
into the more complex from there. So instead of just making an alphabet book I made
them actually have a theme to it. I had them write it in the morning, or at least
start on it, then we went to gym, the kids went to lunch, we did some before
music, then had computers and I had them type up and finish their alphabet
poems, then math before we went home and that was our day.
Tuesday
night was our social studies fair and that was something that was really cool
to see. It’s still weird to be on the other side of all these things. I remember
all my science fairs and projects like that and it’s weird to be a teacher now
on this side of the fence. All the projects turned out really well. Some kids
who normally aren’t the best students really put a lot into them and did a
great job. I was also very proud considering I was on the committee for this
and to see the kids step up for it was awesome.
Wednesday
morning went by pretty fast. We did some science until gym, then bathroom break
to lunch. Then in the afternoon we kept going with the probability unit I started
Tuesday. The homework Tuesday was really confusing. The directions weren’t
clear and even after explaining it, it still didn’t go well, the problem was
they understood the content and material, just not the instructions on the
homework. So we did more practice with it so that they could practice the
skills without the confusing instructions and not only get them repetition but
also build their confidence. After that we did our poetry, we did haiku’s which
the kids liked, and we worked on those until they went home.
Thursday we
kept going with probability and did some more practice to make sure the kids
understand it. We did that until we went to gym and lunch. We did a science
game before music, the students have a tendency to read the chapter and not pay
any attention to the important information in the illustrations and charts. So I
gave them 15 minutes to look at and read the chapter’s charts, illustrations,
and other things they don’t normally read, then asked them each 2 questions
from it and if they got them right they got a panther paw. We went to music and
then finished the day with autobiographical poems.
Friday was
another bust. We did a science jigsaw in the morning with the next section in
the book which took us up to gym. Then we cleaned out our desks between gym and
lunch. After lunch Mrs. Z. decided that we would watch a movie with another
class and they did a taxonomy sheet with it, then they went to library with the
librarian, then we played math bingo to finish off the day. And I can’t believe
next week is my last week of full time teaching.
Classroom
Confidential
In
Schmidt’s chapter 7 her topic is all about community in the classroom. I love
the idea of bringing community into the classroom because then I think it makes
the learning more real for the kids. I know when I was younger I would learn in
school and then go home and didn’t think anything would translate. By bringing
the community in or bringing your kids out into the community they get a sense
for how the learning can be made real and I think it’s one of the most valuable
things you can do.
Unfortunately
in today’s world classrooms are test driven, whether we like it or not they
are. It’s how schools are assessed and it’s how we are assessed as teacher on
our ability to do our job. So one of the concerns that is brought up and
Schmidt addresses is how community based learning is actually quite rigorous
and in cases can be harder than a classroom curriculum. She lists 8 great
reasons as to why this is; Community based projects put kids in the drivers
seat, community based projects are academically and socially rigorous, the
learning requires different types of knowing, it is active, teaching and
learning are shared, life and learning are fused, student work has meaning in
the world and beyond, and projects take on a life of their own. I especially
like that last one because I like most if not all of my classmates enjoy and
believe in alternative assessments. I’m a firm believer in projects and this is
what Schmidt says about the potential of a community project; “A single project
may unfold over an entire year, as students assess their progress, refine
strategies, and ask ‘what do we do now?’” (pg 143). This is exactly the kind of
thing I want and hope for in my future classroom, and she mentions why right
before that quote; “Next thing you know, you’re in the thick of it and your
classroom will never be the same”. I love the potential of getting the
community involved, no matter what community it is. Wealthier communities are sometimes more
willing to get involved and higher needs communities when involved can be more
rewarding and good for both the community and the kids. For instance I’m in a
lower income community now and we have a project going that involves the
community, and to get everyone involved and for the kids to see the potential
is so good for them. To know that the community is a safe place that cares
about them and their education is HUGE for them. That is why no matter what
community my school is in I will always try and get it involved.
John, from your blog it sounds like you kind of just flew throught this week. Could reflect on some of the things that happened? For example, you talked about the students not understanding the directions to their homework. Why do you think they didn't understand? How might you have avoided this?
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about the value of community based education, but in today's classrooms it becomes a question of time and being able to score well on standardized tests. Unfortunately alternative forms of evaluation usually take a back seat to scoring well on the tests. I wish more people could see the relationship in the long run between really learning and scoring well.
John
ReplyDeleteI hope someday we can get back to alternative assessments that are teacher created. The time is spent worrying so much about standardized tests that teachers are losing a TON of time on those. Just think of all of the time you spent this semester on standardized testing! That was time that could have been spent on valuable teaching and learning time! The pendulum of education always swings back to previous used methods!!!
Have a good week!