Monday we
had off for Casmir Pulaski day and Tuesday was a snow day so it made for a nice
4 day weekend.
Wednesday
instead of starting our ISAT tests we decided to have our review day and try
and cram everything we couldn’t get to with decimals and fractions in one day
which was very difficult considering our specials for that day and the time we
actually had to work with. Obviously I am not a fan of worksheets, I tried to
teach them out of their books, I tried giving instruction on the board, I tried
giving them examples from the real world and tried using money (fake of
course), I tried having them get up in front of the class to represent turning
a fraction into a decimal, I felt like I tried everything and none of it
worked. Finally they were in gym and I was looking at the supplemental math
book and they had some worksheets with instructions at the top that were laid
out very simply for them and so I printed them out and gave them a whirl and
after that they really seemed to start to grasp it. I don’t necessarily think
it was the worksheets that were the trick, what I really think that happened
was that I was making it much too complicated. I think I was over explaining
things and on the first day back after a 4 day weekend I just think it was too
much. So when I got the worksheets it laid out what they were supposed to do at
a level that was perfect for them and practice problems that were the same
level. Once I figured that out we really flew through everything. We got through
the equivalent of 3 whole lessons in the time it would normally take to do
about half of that. All we did was math on Monday and by the end of it the kids
were really burnt out so I had them wind down the day with some silent
sustained reading and discussion time so that way they would have somewhat of a
break.
Now that
ISATs are here my days are really dull. We do an hour of testing in the
morning, then straight to gym, then to lunch after 15 minutes when you factor
in bathroom break, then we have a half hour until art then another test and
then they go home. While they were in the room they were just silent sustained
reading so they would be quiet and give their minds a break. They said the math
test was basically all a review which was a good thing because of the review
day on Wednesday I was worried how much would stick. So all in all it was a
really uneventful day. The best thing about today was when Matthew walked in he
had a scowl on his face and looked extremely mad. This is typically what happens
before he has a colossal meltdown and we couldn’t have that when he was
starting an ISAT test within 20 minutes. So instead of sending him up to the
social worker and making this whole ordeal out of it and wasting time I just
had him come over to my desk and tried something I’m not sure some teachers
have…talking to him. I just asked what was going on and why he looked so mad
and he just said “everyone in my house is dumb”. Whatever that meant I don’t
know but I just told him that’s not true and just started talking to him and
within 5 minutes he was smiling and happy. All it took was talking and some
coaxing and he was fine. So that was my biggest accomplishment for the day,
taking that kid who has started the day sometimes on the ground literally
kicking and screaming and making turning his morning around and starting him
off on the right track.
Friday
started the same day with Matthew, he came in all scowled and looked ticked off
at the world and again all I did was call him over to my desk and tell him to
stop. I said yesterday we had the same problem and we took care of it so that’s
what we were going to do again. Again it seemed to work and he was fine in the
span of about 3 minutes. Again it was a good feeling and if we can do this
whenever he is off to a bad start then the rest of the school year gets a whole
lot easier. They took their third ISAT test and that was the last one for the
week. Then gym, lunch, and library took up the rest of the day. One thing I noticed
was that the 3 days I was in school felt like 2 full weeks and what the other
teachers said became so true for me, the shortest weeks are the longest
weeks. I know there isn’t much but that’s
because there wasn’t much done. Other than Wednesday when they weren’t testing
they were silent reading and that was it.
John, I really like your approach in dealing with Matthew. Often kids may not even know why they are angry or upset. Sometimes just giving them an opportunity to think about things and talk about what's going on can help. I also think that your showing interest had an effect. He understood that you cared about him.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about testing weeks - it makes the time go so slowly. You think you will get all this time to work and get caught up, but it gets boring really fast, and that's not why you wanted to be a teacher.
John
ReplyDeleteGreat strategy with Matthew. Something is obviously going on at home and sometimes just a few kind, understanding words works like magic. Remember, you may be the one person to treat a child in the way they should be treated.
I never liked the testing weeks either. The kids don't like taking the tests and the time they are not taking them is structured in a very different way than what they are used to. It is a very non-productive week!
Congrats on getting them to understand the fractions! All your attempts probably helped things make more sense, but maybe the worksheet just helped them put it all together. That's got to be a long day when you're doing just math-- for you and the kids! I completely agree about the short weeks feeling longer; sometimes I can't believe it's only Tuesday/Wednesday/whatever. I hope your 5-day week is going by quicker for ya though! :)
ReplyDelete