Overall the
beginning of the week was pretty cut and dry. Monday I gave out spelling words,
we did math, gym, lunch, computer time I let them research their social studies
projects, then James and the Giant Peach to finish the day. Tuesday was much
the same, Math, gym, lunch, music, computers for social studies, James and the
Giant Peach to end the day again. Nothing very eventful happened either day.
Wednesday was
where things started to go a little off the tracks. We had our 3rd quarter
reward celebration at the end of the day. I was observed in the morning and the
students were great. I passed out the handout for the reading we did the day
before and had them work on that before the reward because after the math
lesson between gym, lunch, and art that was all we had time for.
Thursday was
going along fine, nothing uneventful until after art. Then the train started
going more off the tracks. We were on our way back and about to go on the
bathroom break. I had a student who wasn’t doing anything all day and so I was
asking the teacher how he was in art while Mrs. Z. was taking them. I could
hear the guys all the way on the other end of the building. I walked back and
took all the guys into the classroom and had it out with them. I had to put the
fear of the Lord in them again. I told them that just because spring break was
around the corner we were still in school and if they were that loud that they
were disrupting the whole school from being able to learn. I asked them that if
I had to send a note home or call their mom or dad and tell them that their
child is disrupting the whole school if they would be happy? I have never heard
a group of guys so quiet in my life. So for the rest of the week they do not
get a group bathroom break, they are sent out one at a time. We finished the day
by reading James and the Giant Peach.
Friday was
the epitome of a train wreck. If we continue to use the train metaphor, It’s
off the tracks, on its side, on fire, blowing up, with another train about to
crash into it and blow it up further. We
started the day and took our spelling test. That was normal. Then they went to gym
and that started out normal. During gym we had a meeting with the principal about
a parent who is giving us some trouble. Then the classroom just turned upside
down. They came back from gym and I saw 2 kids sort of going at it in what
looked like a pretty heated argument and these 2 have had problems inn the
past. I pulled them outside to talk to them and it turns out another student was
calling them names and hitting them in the head with dodge balls. I pulled him
out and it turned out to be this big hoopla involving 7 guys all ticked off at each
other for the most part. So I pulled them all to the front of the class
while the rest were working (not to make an example out of them just to have a
talk by my desk) and as I was going to inform Mrs. Z. of what was going on and
while I was doing that one of the female students told me she was moving to
Texas during spring break, and she is one of the best kids in class both
academically, socially, and overall a really nice girl. Then I told Mrs. Z.
what was happening just to keep her in the loop and she said she wanted to
handle it because this sort of thing has been happening all year. Then after
she had finished we were having what we call “talk time” which is just
something once or twice a week where the students can just talk to us about
random things related to school. They were complaining about a certain lunch
lady who is either eating off their plates, pinching kids, pushing kids,
yelling at them to be quiet for no reason, it was bad. So we said we would talk
to the principal about it. Mrs. Z. has also been in the principal’s office
laying on his couch twice so far because she’s extremely light headed, felt
like she was going to pass out, and had no color in her face. Turns out he had
talked to the lunch monitor about these things that very morning. This is ALL
BEFORE LUNCH! During lunch we find out that a teacher from another school in
the district was walked out of the building. Then after lunch I was running up
money to the office for some poster boards and I see Mrs. Z. walking in to the
principal’s office with one of the sweetest girls in the class. Apparently the
lunch lady had heard her yelling from all the way across the loud lunch room
with over 150 kids in it (this is the girl who sits 7 feet away from me and I can’t
hear). She made her stand in the corner of the lunch room with her nose against
the wall in front of everyone. So she was walked out. Then Mrs. Z. stayed up
there because she was feeling sick again. I had them clean out their desks
while I graded the first part of their social studies project and one of my
guys started having a meltdown right as we were about to go to the movie (the
whole school was watching it before spring break). Turn out he was extremely
upset about the girl moving to Texas because out of all the girls in the class
she’s the nicest to him and his best friend in the class who’s a girl. Then
once we got him good to go we had a meeting with the social worker about the
child and his parent we’ve been having problems with, then met with the principal
about the parent again, then one of our students who is a diabetic had his
sugar CRASH, then finally we got a class that one girl’s mother was going into
labor so she had to go about an hour early. Then after school we were talking
to a teacher who didn’t have his class there because he never got the
permission slips (which out students were in charge of passing out) because
they didn’t want to go in there when there was no teacher there. The problem was
they didn’t tell us and they didn’t have more than 5 left over so we had no
idea. And then finally, it was spring break…
Wow! Some interesting events this week. You did a great job of describing what happened. Isn't it amazing the variety of personalities and events that can have an effect on a teacher in a school such as yours?
ReplyDeleteWas anything done about the lunch lady?
Although you described a lot in detail, you didn't say much about your thoughts about everything. What do you think leads to behavior such as the arguments between the boys? What do you think about the way you handled the situations? What might you have done differently, now that you have had a chance to think about the events?
I hope you have a great break.
Congrats on getting the guys quiet in the hall! That can definitely be a challenge. Sounds like an absolutely crazy Friday. Thank goodness for spring breaks! I'm anxious to hear how it goes when they come back; if they'll still be wound up or not. Hopefully this much-needed break lets them chill and get ready to finish the year strong!
ReplyDeleteI am almost speechless about what went on last week! I know the children tend to get out of sorts before a long break like that, but this is pretty crazy! Hopefully, when they return they will be much more sedate and ready to learn.
ReplyDeleteDid you get info on the student who was moving so the class could write to her?? Could be a teachable letter writing moment!!!
I hope you relaxed on your break and are rejuvenated for the final stretch.